Isola d'Elba short descripton
away from the continent, with an area of 224 square kilometers, Elba is the
largest island in the Tuscan Archipelago and the third largest island in Italy.
It's part of the Tuscan Archipelago National Park along with Pianosa, Capraia,
Montecristo, Giglio and Giannutri.
The richness of its coast (which has a development of 147 km) to the amenity of the beaches to the majestic beauty of the Group of Mount Capanne (mt 1019), is rightly become one of the tourist attraction of world class .
main road network (about 220 Km) is ashpalt road. There are other panoramic
macadam roads for about 60 Km
Signs impressero the Medici in Portoferraio (in honor of Cosimo de 'Medici, the city was called Cosmopoli) and the Spanish, who built the fortress of St. James and Strong Focardo in Porto Azzurro. The brief reign of Napoleon (1814-1815, 9 months and 23 days) has left a significant mark in the Palazzina dei Mulini, the villa of San Martino, in the ancient churches of Portoferraio, Marciana Alta (now museums) and in other places
divided into eight municipalities: Portoferraio, Campo nell'Elba, Capoliveri,
Marciana, Marciana Marina, Porto Azzurro, Rio Marina and Rio nell'Elba.